Thursday 27 August 2015

The True Beauty In A BPO Industry

I was on my way to work earlier when I heard an old lady and her friend talk about their friend's son whose working as a call center agent and how the poor guy is being judged by them. Nowadays, this seems to be getting habitual. People look down on call center agents. They don't know what one has to go through in order to get the job and stay in a prestigious company.

I am proud to say that I am one of the many people who joined the bandwagon and is part of the BPO industry for more than 3 years now. And let me start by saying that I am happy where I am.

Honestly, I was just curious that's why I tried to get a job in the BPO industry. And yes, mainly because of greener pasture. But I have come to realize that it is just like any other jobs, only shift differences.

I took up BS in Medical Technology but I did not take the licensure exam, by choice. My previous jobs are all medical related. I used to work in a laboratory for 24 hours for our internship which lasted for a year. And shifting schedules have never been an issue to me.

BPO industry plays a big part in helping improve our country's economy. It offers a lot of jobs with justifiable pay. Since the clients are mostly foreigners, the employees have to adapt with the shifting schedules. One's body clock is expected to change once you enter this industry. It may sound like a disadvantage but if you know how to manage your time and health wisely, this is not going to be an issue.

The growing number of BPO companies in our country is a good sign that shows how promising this industry is. Great opportunities are being offered. Even fresh graduates are welcome to join which helps in decreasing the number of unemployed Filipinos.

Going back to the conversation that I overheard earlier, I must admit that I was offended. I know that they are not pertaining to me directly but I just find it immoral to generalize all call center agents. Maybe all your accusations to the guy is true, but that doesn't mean that we are like him. Not all call center agents did not finish college. Not all call center agents are addicted to smoking, drinking alcohol, and engaging to unprotected sex.

I wont be speaking in behalf of the entire BPO industry. These are merely just my personal opinions.

Being a call center agent is an honorable job. We do not steal, lie, or cheat. Yes, we can afford to buy the latest iPhone series, go to a luxurious out of the country trips, or even sustain a condo living lifestyle. But we work our @$$ off to earn for our living. We pay our taxes right and on time.

We spend at least 8 hours a day staying on the phone hearing our clients rant, shout, or even curse at us. And yet we are still expected to remain calm and be kind. We are trained to be patient.

We also know how to touch the hearts of our clients by just simply asking how their day was. We have learned the importance of genuinely being compassionate to others.

We are practicing the English Only Policy at work. And it is making us more comfortable in speaking the language which makes it easier for us to communicate better. But that does not mean that we are forgetting our own language.

Because of this job, we have also learned that things will not always go your way. We have learned the ability to be flexible. We adjust from our comfort zone in order to address the needs of the clients. Even if it means extended hours at work on a holiday.

We are experts in time management. We know the importance of time. We are expected to report to work on time regardless of the weather. Hence, they call us waterproofed beings.

The list will still go on. But my point here being is that we are just like anyone of you. Our job has taught us a lot of things and help us mold of who we are today.

Most, if not all, have clearly misunderstood the real beauty in a BPO industry. And it is unfair to stereotype.


No comments:

Post a Comment